For many League Members, the Barn Bash has become a favorite fall tradition. Active member Lexie Frahm and her husband Shane graciously hosted the “friendraiser” at their home in Gretna for the second year.
One of the highlights of the event is a chili cook-off, which was done anonymously for the first time. In the end, Active member Alysia Radicia took home the coveted prize, the $150 pot created by cook-off entry fees and more importantly, bragging rights until next year’s event.
Attendees also enjoyed s’mores by the bonfire, a competitive game of bingo as well as a night of socialization and fun.
We asked Alysia to share her secrets; you can find that below!
Homemade Chili Con Carne with Hot Pork Longaniza Sausage
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
1 medium onion, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small can pimiento, diced
1 package of Hot Pork Longaniza Sausage, sliced diagonally
1/2 pound ground beef
1 (14 -ounce) can cooked red beans
1 (14-ounce) can stewed diced tomatoes
4 tablespoons tomato paste
2 bay leaves
2 stalks cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
olive oil for drizzling (optional)
cilantro leaf for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepot. Add cumin in the hot oil. Add onions, garlic, and diced pimiento; saute until tender for 5 minutes.
- Cook sausage with 3⁄4 cup water in separate pan over low heat for 20-25 minutes. Let sausage cool and slice, set aside.
- Add ground beef and stir together in sauce pot cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, and cilantro. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, sugar, and pepper; cook for another 5 minutes. Place sausage on top of chili. Drizzle with olive oil, and garnish with a cilantro leaf.
Serves around 6. Prep Time 45-60 minutes.