What is your go-to for game day? If your spread includes jarred salsa and a tub of pre-made dip, served with a side frozen wings and a store-bought pizza, know that it does not have to be that way. You can have a tasty, homemade dish in just minutes.
With a few hearty pantry staples and a handful of fresh flavors, Cowboy Chic Black Bean Dip can transform you from second-string to the Most Valuable Player. A real crowd-pleaser, Cowboy Chic Black Bean Dip is one of the recipes in the Junior League of Omaha’s A Century of Serving cookbook, available in Fall 2018.
Cowboy Chic Black Bean Dip
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 2/3 cup bottled picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 can black beans (drained and washed)
- 1/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco-if desired
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until tender.
- Add tomato, picante sauce, chili powder, cumin, and black beans to skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Partially mash mixture with a potato masher. Add cheese, cilantro, and lime juice. Stir until cheese melts.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
After you make Cowboy Chic Black Bean Dip, share a photo on social media using #JLOCookbook.